Saturday 2 February 2013

Saturday Night TV


Supermarket Sweep!!!
I was sat here earlier, in front of the TV where I have to admit I have been for the entire day when my bestest good Gemma called me for a talk. We had the general catch up and moan before the standard round up of “what's on TV tonight anything good?”... and the answer is simply no. No there isn't. Staying true to my upbringing and enforcing my stubbornness for change, I perused the standard 4 analogue stations and became utterly depressed. SPLASH! was on IVT1 (oh the days when it was just called Granada and could be identified without a number).. as if I needed more reason to kill myself? And BBC1 had Flog It! (notice how both of those programs on the main channels have an exclamation mark, presumably to mask their shitness with gestured enthusiasm!).. and that was actually worse than SPLASH!

"Oh Dale. If only you weren't half gay half carrot"
Faced with what seemed like SPLASH! And a sharp knife to my wrist, in a semi desperate bid to stay alive just a wee bit longer, I flicked through and found.... oh sweet lord the goodness.. Challenge TV.. no exclamation mark needed. Good, proper old school real TV with real people playing proper games. And watching them back reeeallly makes me appreciate everything which I know sounds ridiculous but the old school prizes.. MINT. and when I say old school it's only 20 years ago but we seem to have forgotten the simple pleasure of winning a microwave – it's still a prize kids!!!! It doesn't have to be £20k! Anyway...

All hands Mr John
It started with Supermarket Sweep – the hair, the colours of the waistcoats, the fact a hosepipe was an expensive must have item in the trolley, the mega prize of £2000 that had to be won on speed and the ability to match rhyming food items to riddle clues. Just epic. And Dale's skin and matching shoulder padded blazer. Ah man. Just yes.

Then Wheel of Fortune – with the gorgeous, if slightly rapey, John Leslie. Again, physical skill of lugging that wheel around, mental agility of what is essentially hang man, and the prizes! Wow. An exercise bike, a combi fridge freezer... a hamper of makeup!!!! Man those were the days.. and if you lost you actually lost. You might get an “I was on a game show” token prize but essentially you were shit out of luck. No “aww I'm sorry here is £10,000 please don't sue us for emotional damage”.

Penis
And then.. oooh my Saturday childhood favourite.. Big Break. Jim Davidson, what an absolute Cashew Nut.. but John Virgo.. secret childhood crush. And the theme tune!! “I'm famed for my aim so you better believe I'm right! I'm going to be snookering you, snookering you tonight, BIG BREAK!” - goosebumps!! But now THEIR prizes.. absolutely other level of WOW: a CARPET BAG!!!!!, turntable stereo system, gourmet soup cook book and the mystery star prize – a 15 inch colour TV with video player and the choice of FIVE BBC videos of YOUR choice. Core fudging blimey.

Why don't we have these on any more??? Where is The Crystal Maze?? Gladiators?!! The Krypton Factor??? God I miss the TV of my youth.... Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment