Tuesday 9 August 2011

Kuala Lumpur: Towers, Sewer Man, Blisters, Knickers Incident

Ok I have missed out Koh Phangan, Siem Reap and Singapore. I will blog about them later on!!

It's my last night in KL before Melbourne. I'm so nervous!! Also, after the mass bloggage update I'm finding it weird writing in the present tense. Actual to the minute expression of emotion! I am loving being able to find half a second to blog though. I have either been too busy talking to people back home or exploring, or just too damn exhausted to write.. and I only like to write when I have something funny to say.

So KL has been interesting. I arrived proper late in the evening and I didn't think they were going to let me check in. As I stepped out of the cab (which stank of bad breath.. Tsion will understand..) I almost stepped on a cockroach.. a fantastic introduction to the city! It didn't get better when the next morning I went for an exploration of my block and walked the wrong way right into the filthiest part of the city away from the city centre. It was horrid. There were thousands of men wearing dirty clothes and no shoes trying to push the white girl into their shops, it stank of excrement everywhere and you could choke on the fumes from the old cars. I went back to the hostel in a complete huff lol and announced via facebook that I would NEVER be coming back. I sat with a lad I was sharing a room with, Michael from Switzerland and had a proper good bitch! He was so interesting bless him and has been everywhere!! I learnt about his family and what he does on festive occasions.. such as did you know for Halloween they don't dress up and have parties, instead they go to the graveyards to pay respect then go and eat shit loads in restaurants?! And in Switzerland they open their presents on the 24th, not the 25th December!?? I correctly and sternly warned him this was not correct and he needs to inform his governemnt.

But despite the horrendous morning I figured I am here, I should see the sites so I asked for actual directions in the evening and went to take some photos. And to be fair.. I took some amazing photos!! the Towers are beautiful at night and there are lights dangling from every tree on the lead up to the city which makes the place look so much nicer. I had a great night exploring until it got to be about 10.30pm and I still couldn't find my way home. I wasn't going to use a taxi because I had been warned they can be dangerous and if they don't mug/sell you into the sex slave trade, they will at the very least over charge extortionately so I powered on and trudged through the city. I was about to walk up to a guy and ask for help because he was the only one around when I saw him pick up the drain grating on the pavement, look inside and then climb in. It was then I noticed he wasn't a black man as thought, but actually an Asian covered in dirt. And he lived in the sewer. Horror and fied. I was shizzing myself big time. It was a few moments after that that I finally located the hostel.

I was meant to get up at 6am to go and queue for the skybridge between the Petronas Towers but that didn't go well. I woke up at 11.30am and got out of bed at 12pm. I deserved a lie in after yesterdays horrificness! I decided instead to go and have a wander around the KLCC which is a lovely large park surrounding the Towers, and then go and visit the Aquarium. Oh last night also I bought a pair of flip flops which looked way comfy. I can confirm from my walk in the park and my walk back to the hostel afterwards.. they are NOT comfy. I have huge giant blisters on the soles of my feet which have made walking slightly awkward. I look a bit like a penguin that's shit itself.

Anywho.. it was in the park I had my knickers incident mentioned in the title. So.. in a nut shell.. I have run out of clean undercrackers. I have been forced to resort to my last clean bikini bottoms which you tie at the sides into a bow. They are a little like a nappy design I guess rather than good old pull on ones which makes them cute but, as I learnt today... unpractical for a lot of walking around. In summary... the knots at the side came undone. And I was wearing a dress. And I was in the park. There were people... there was knickers on the floor. There was shame. SO much shame. I very hurriedly ran to the Aquarium to put them back on. Double knotted the bastards so they couldn't do it again and I have now successfully cut off the blood flow to my legs. Tomorrow on my flight to Melbourne I am just gonna have to go boh! There is no other option.. I'm all out!

The aquarium was pretty darn cool. They had big sharks and cool turtles. I wanted to go diving in the cage with them but you had to book in advance :( ho hum I can just do it in Australia.

I have met two more people today on my travels. They are both sharing my room and are both amaizng. Mark is from Manchester and a fellow United supporter which is groovy :D I have successfully persuaded him that the Half Moon party is better than the Full Moon and Daniel.. wow. He is from Germany and so fucking generous and he has the most amazing stories!! For example, he was travelling through somewhere I have already forgotten when he came across this girl at his hotel bar. She is 17 and about to finish school and even though she is ranked number 3 brightest in her school, her parents can't afford to send her to university. So Daniel has offered to pay to send her to university for 5 years to become a doctor. Wow. Who else would do that for a stranger?! And when he was in Siem Reap, he was only supposed to stay there for 3 days to do the temples but on the last day he took a bike out and stumbled across an orphanage. He ended up staying 3 weeks playing and teaching the kids, then went over to Vietnam to see his friends and bought 87 pairs of shoes for the kids and went back! He has been back a 4-5 times to see them and his heading back over there tomorrow to say goodbye because his year off in Asia has come to an end. He really is an amazing guy and tells his stories in no order and they just roll off his tongue. He really has had some fantastic experiences. I'm very jealous!

Mark is a right laugh though. He was meeting these guys to go and see the Towers tonight and he went out all casual in a T shirt and shorts, and bounced back into the room 10 minutes later, being as Manchester as you could be and goes “I don't like this, this is awful I have to change! The lads are wearing shirts what's this all about?!” … Imagine Pete Kaye funny and you have Mark. I've only known him a matter of hours and already think he is lege!

Tomorrow my flight is 7.30pm so I need to leave around 5pm. That gives me a bit of time to do something but I'm not sure if there is anything else to do in this place. I stumbled across a Rahmadam festival last night which looked pretty cool – lots of noise coming from the mosque and the smells of food were wonderful. I didn't have any because I was stuffed from tea earlier on but I bet it was gorgeous.

Reet.. I best be off! My fingers have been worn down by so much writing I'm not so sure they have identifiable finger prints on them!! which will be an issue when leaving the country because they finger print you on the way in... hmm... tricky. I'll let you know hopefully not from a police cell.

I'll blog you again from Australia folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment