Monday 16 April 2012

Just Another Wee Change of Plan..

Ah, That's Better.

I can't even muster the energy to say hello so please accept this still exhausted *wave* as my greeting.

The farming has come to an end and I am whole heartedly over the moon. I didn't make it to 13 weeks, in fact I only made it to 3 weeks but it seemed like an eternity. With every ounce of fist clenching, eye squeezing, chest tightening gesturing I have, I can confirm I well and truly HATED working in those bloody packing sheds. It was making me physically and mentally ill – both of which I escaped England to avoid and make better.

I took a day off on the Thursday and spent the entire time looking at midwifery forums and all the while the feeling of butterflies got stronger and stronger. My head was wrestling with my heart using a baseball bat, and my poor heart was defending itself with a giant replica womb cushion to symbolise the whole midwifery theme. A summary of the 18 hour conversation went like this:

Head: if you don't do a second year, you will lose out on over £24,000.00 worth of saving you could do. That's a flat and a new kitchen in it, prick stain *smack!*

Heart: Aye but if we stay here another year, it's a whole another year out of university to do a job we detest and from career you and I, Brain, so desperately want. We will be 31 at the earliest when we start our career. Thirty-fucking-one. *dull thump of bat hitting spongy womb cushion, held aloft*

Head: But think of the flat in Glasgow we can buy and build. Think of the income we could make in renting the second bedroom whilst we do the degree. It's just 10 more weeks stop being a twat. *boosh*

Heart: Look mate, you want this.. I want this. I hate fighting with you because our womb cushion is losing that plumpness we both loved when we bought it. If you continue to batter it for the next 10 weeks and you succeed, we will have no more cushion. Think about that philosophically and not physically please. *thump.. and then gentle slow, contemplative slidey noise as the bat lifts off the cushion*

Head: Interesting. *clunk as the bat goes down on the floor*... let me sleep on it. No promises though OK? And stop beating so fast.. you're giving me a headache.

Heart: Ta *ruffle noise as heart re-plumps the cushion and then settles down on it for a sleep*.

Next Morning..

Heart: Hey erm.. It's tomorrow and we have to go to work in a minute. I don't suppose you thought about what to do at all? I don't know about you but I feel proper heavy at the idea of going on. I think I need lifting out of this place.. I'm asking nicely dude.. please?

*Body checks watch and sees it is 5.35am and it's had only 2 hours sleep, checks it can move arms above head and realises it can't because the back is sore*

Head: Yeah fuck it, let's go!

Heart: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!

And so a flight to Perth was booked!!!! And my heart lifted! Which made my whole body immediately feel better and my head, now completely given up and put the bat through a tree-buzzer machine thing, quiet and content.

And then my hard drive miraculously recovered itself enough to remove all my pictures that were otherwise long gone onto a new backup hard drive. And I discovered I like pesto after all. And it's sunny in Perth! Sun!! A concept I had forgotten in 6 degree Shepparton. Sun that wasn't just there as an illusion but as a force that made your skin hot. 29 degree sun my friends! Positive heart, body, mind and soul energy made just EVERYTHING in the world right again.

My hostel is ok too. Initially when I arrived my head and heart had another little battle. My head going “the fuck is this place all about? It's dirty and full of people.. PEOPLE!”, and my heart going “you friggin well brought us here. I'm in a mood now”. But after a sunbathe and watch of the F1 the world was all well once more. I like the hostel, I have located shops, I have a job interview on Wednesday, my mattress is divinely comfortable, the bunk bed doesn't squeek, and my room mates are nice and quiet. If not a little bit too naked.. and little bit too confident with said nakedness actually...

On my first night here, I was sat on the laptop applying for some jobs when a German room mate came in from the shower. Unlike prude little me who changes and moisturises in the bathroom behind a very locked door, Miss Germany launched off her towel in a dramatic swimwear competition style and started to saunter around the room completely bare. I looked up, frowned and jaw dropped before being splendidly English and reclosing my mouth and hunching in embarrassment over my laptop, furiously pretending to be busy but then still looking up when ever she had her back turned like a teenager checking to see if she had the same inny and outty bits as me.

Well I didn't have to be sneaky for long because Miss Naked trotted over to me where her bag was at my feet, lent over me to reach something off the shelf and bent down to put it in her bag. There was absolutely no where else for poor Miss English to look but at Miss Self Confidence's boobs actually wafting a breeze in my face, or Miss Non Bashful's fadge flapping at my knees. Very concerning. Very weird. Very, very uncomfortable.

But more importantly there is a pool baby! Too cold to actually get in, but lovely to put your legs into when the sunbathing has gotten a bit too much. Loving the need to have a pool. LOV...ING.. IT.

So yes, here I am! Starting another new leg of the adventure with a 2 month stay in Perth. I start the proper adventure on 2nd July still and will still be coming home on 17th October. The only change is I won't be leaving again. I will go grab a job, re-take my driving test, apply for an access to midwifery course and apply for university. It's all go!

I hope you are all doing well and hope you enjoyed reading the latest update of Bear news. I'll hit you up next Sunday... preferably with a job and a lot less naked foreign in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment